Preliminary results from Brookhaven’s Brain Injury Screening Tool
Based on a review of the data, Brookhaven leadership have gleaned the following information:
38 patients presenting with BH/SUD issues were screened using our brain injury screening tool from 3/21/20 to 4/27/20.
29 patients screened positive for acquired brain injury
While this is not a diagnostic tool, we can communicate that 76.3% of patients presenting for MH/SA treatment, in our preliminary data set, have screened positive for acquired brain injury (ABI).
Of those who screened positive:
- 96.6% (28) screened positive for traumatic brain injury
- 82.8% (24) reported a loss of consciousness
- 72.4% (21) reported multiple, repeated impacts to their head (e.g., history of abuse, contact sports, military duty)
- 20.7% (6) reported a loss of consciousness due to being choked
- 27.6% (8) reported a loss of consciousness due to a drug overdose
- 62% (18) identified an ABI diagnosis had been communicated to them by a doctor or other health professional.
Results like these are used by Brookhaven’s staff to more appropriately treat our patient population.