Cultivating a Healthy Lifestyle
Welcome to Brookhaven Hospital’s Alumni Corner; a new and exciting addition to our website that is a special quarterly newsletter that Alumni’s can visit to stay on track with their successful recovery. Brookhaven has a special passion for its alumni and is always looking to help our past patients in learning about the latest breaking therapies and education in the field. We are creating this Alumni webpage to make easy access to information for them to continue to fulfill a life of accomplishments/ achievements.
“Ill-health of body or of mind, is defeat. Health alone is victory. Let all men, if they can manage it, contrive to be healthy!” Thomas Carlyle
The start of a new year is a time that many of us take the opportunity to set goals to stay healthy. This year take those goals one step further by actually creating an attainable timeline of achievement. Begin with the concept of keeping your mental health on the right track by adopting a sense of optimism. Be realistic that everyone has good days and bad, but it’s how you handle those negative moments that determines how much control you have of your mental health. Continue to build your self esteem by surrounding yourself with loved ones and friends that bring out the best you, this will allow you to see life in a positive light and continue with that drive for personal success. Avoid people and situations that you associate with the problem periods of our life. Follow with incorporating good eating habits. By following the tips of a daily food pyramid, you will be able to fuel your body with the nutrients that it needs to function at its optimal level. Also, if you should replenish the liquids that your body requires with the purity of safe drinking water and reduce your intake of sweetened beverages, caffeine drinks and alcohol. Lastly, practice good daily hygiene. Bathing regularly, washing your hands rigorously, brushing/ flossing your teeth, and getting plenty of rest are all essential to promoting good health. By practicing the combination of these simple life changing strategies, then you will continue your journey down a road of success over a mental illness!
- Focus on internal growth (Surround yourself with positivism both socially and independently)
- Practice good eating habits (Your body needs nutrients and vitamins and minerals from a variety of food groups, so keep a healthy balance)
- Participate in activities (Increasing your heart rate at a sustainable level will boost endorphins in your body, leading to a feeling of internal satisfaction)
- Keep hydrated (The human body is made up of 65% water, so replenishing it with a minimum of 8 glasses a day will keep the organs functioning properly)
- Hygiene is important (Frequent hand washing is a must to keep germs away. Viruses and bacteria can live on surfaces for hours but transferred in seconds)
Following these simple tips can help you stay on track with your recovery and in staying healthy!